How to make the right structure for your ecommerce website?
Basic Guide, about 4-5min reading
The importance of the website structure must not be underestimated. This is the most basic and must be the first thing to do. Ideally, the basic structure of your website should be drafted prior to any other step like website CMS or hosting selection.
Actually, you need to start with keywords planning. Identifying the right phrases or keywords will significantly help you in building the correct website structure. I will highlight how to find the right keywords and phrases in one of my next articles.
Definition. The structure of the website means the hierarchical relationship of various website pages. There are several types of website structure. The most popular is pyramidal or hierarchical type. Let’s take as an example the structure of any ecommerce online shop.
This kind of structure is the most common and optimal for standard ecommerce website. The number of categories and other pages, of course, may vary but their structure would remain just like mentioned above.
Why is it so important to have the right structure for your website?
1. Usability. Put yourself into your visitor’s shoes. You must quickly address his needs, provide a solution to his problem or answer his question. All of this must be fast, simple and convenient. One of the most important factors to be able to do this is by having a well-made website structure. Being on any page of the website, the user must understand where he came from and how to get:
- to the main website page
- to any other category
- to the category where he was earlier
- to contacts or location page, etc.
Of course, the right relinking will assist him in all of this, but the foundation will be by having a convenient website structure.
2. Convenience for Google (or other search engines). It will be easier for the search engine robots to index all your website pages if it is properly structured. Robots will not miss anything, so your content will be well displayed in the search results. If your website structure will be chaotic and too complicated, search engine robots may refuse to index it and give a low-quality website mark. Worst case scenario, this will put your website at the very end of search results.
You may have unique and very interesting content, beautiful and impressive design, attractive ecommerce offers, etc., but all of it will be ignored by search engines robots and they will postpone to index it because of the violations in website structure rules.
3. Website promotion. It is much easier to promote your website with the right structure. The so called “weight” or “juice” of the website depends on the levels and your page’s content. The main (or 1st level) has the greatest importance, in the opinion of search engines. Other levels (level 2, 3 or other) are also important, but not so much as your home or title page.
So each of the sub level page of your website have less weight compared to the higher one. I hope you keep this in mind when building the structure and distributing the content along the pages.
How to create the proper website structure?
There are several details that you need to pay attention to in order to get the structure as optimized as possible for your business.
And you need to start with ...
Keywords!!! The first and most important is to identify what are the main keywords that will be associated with your business. Why do we return to it again and again? Because when you know your keywords, you will be able to identify:
• What categories needs to be added.
• Which categories needs to be raised higher in the structure.
• Which categories should be removed.
When you understand what people are looking for more often then you will know which categories / subcategories you must prioritize.
Identify what kind of keywords should be on which page of your website. You must clearly know which product or service you will highlight on which webpage. Which goods or services will be at the same category and which ones need to have a separate category, etc.
Goods or services need to be displayed is the most convenient and logical way, based on importance and hierarchy.
Example: when you create an ecommerce type of website for used cars it will be logical that we need separate categories by type of vehicles: for sedans, SUV’s or convertibles. At the same time, we can highlight separate brands of cars which have a high demand, like “Toyota Vios”.
Ready to use templates. Some well know website or ecommerce online shop builder may offer you ready-to-use templates which you may modify according your business needs. There are 3 key players in South East Asia: wix, easybuilder.pro and shopify. If you just starting your online journey, try easybuilder.pro or wix first.
· Think about your website AS AN ANSWER for your VISITORS’ QUESTIONS/ REQUESTS
· For each group of keywords, there needs to be a separate webpage.
· Think about the your ecommerce website structure in advance.
· Your website structure should be pretty flexible. Ideally, you should be able to add a new webpage without damaging the entire website structure.
· Prioritization. Decide which queries you want to promote first and which ones are less important for sales.
(click on the links to learn more)